Spring Break... So I made a Spring Dress!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

This week I'm on Spring Break and it has been wonderful! A whole week without having to teach school! I haven't really been able to sleep in past 7am because I'm so used to waking up at 5 normally, but just not having to set an alarm makes waking up in the morning so nice! I really wanted to make a dress this week with my extra time. In a previous post I mentioned how I'm working on my Young Women Personal Progress for the second time around. Under the category of Choice and Accountability there is an option for sewing an article of clothing. The first time doing my Personal Progress, back when I was 17, I made my Prom dress. This time I thought it might be fun to make a spring dress. So....


On Monday:
I went to Joann's Fabric store to buy fabric.  Unbeknownst to me, there was a fabric sale going on! So, I bought fabric to make 2 dresses.  Blue fabric: total $18 and Green fabric: total $12. I was super happy! On this day I also got to meet Tyler at Smash Burgers during his lunch break. I was so happy to see him during the day - another bonus of not having to go to work.  I went home and started cutting out all the pieces for my dress.

On Tuesday:
I couldn't start sewing my dress because my sewing machine was missing the bobbin.  After searching all over for an extra one, I went down to Provo Center Street and walked into a sewing machine repair shop. They were really nice and actually gave me 2 bobbins on the house! I headed home and started piecing together all the parts.


That night Josh, Shannon, and Nikki came over for tacos. Then we went out for frozen yogurt with Megan and Aaron. It was so nice to be with so much of our family tonight. It was fun!

On Wednesday:
I finished my dress! I felt so happy finishing it. It makes me want to sew more. I've had my sewing machine since I was 12, and I used to sew quite a bit. But since I left home for college, I haven't done much-  except a quilt I made for Ty when we were dating. I'm glad that I'm doing the YW Personal Progress again, because that is what motivated me to start another sewing project. I think it would be so fun to own a dress shop and make custom dresses for women. How fun! Avenia Bridal, where I bought my wedding dress, is a small shop started by a woman who loved to sew. She custom made my dress just for me. Of course, she was really professional, if I wanted to do something like that, I would have to improve A LOT. But it's fun to dream! 


After 8 hours of sewing...here is my finished dress! I love having Spring break.... it opens up a lot of time for fun projects.  And since I am a teacher, that means that I'll have the whole summer off and can have a whole 3 months of project making. I'm looking forward to it already! Next project: homemade lip balm.

I wore the dress out with Tyler for a Temple date and dinner at Guru's. 
Guru's is our favorite restaurant. We love it - especially the sweet potato fries. We have tried to make them at home many times, but we can never make them as good as Guru's. Tyler almost always gets the pork tacos and I almost always get the southwest chipotle wrap (like the pics above).  We especially love it when it is warm outside and we can just walk to Provo Center Street. So, because we go there so often, I thought I should document it!

2 comments:

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan

Your copyright

Your own copyright