Homemade Tortilla Shells

Saturday, April 16, 2011

In the past week, we have made homemade tortilla shells 3 times! It started because we didn't have any on hand and we were making tacos. Instead of running to the store, I remembered that on my mission a sister in the ward taught me how to make them.  Side note: In Argentina they don't eat tortilla shells - the sister just learned how to make Mexican food for the missionaries because she new how much Americans like it! So anyways, last week, I just decided to try to remember how she made them and they turned out pretty well.  Then today for lunch, Ty suggested that we make them again - we are addicted now!
These are the ingredients we started out with.
There isn't an exact recipe - just add enough of each until you get the consistency below.
I think that Argentines are such good cooks because they don't measure things exactly. At first this drove me crazy! I couldn't understand how to make a recipe without knowing how many cups of flour to add. But I learned, just like the Argentines, to cook based on consistency. Knowing how the dough should feel helps to know if you should add more flour, water, etc.  I once told my Argentine companion the ingredients for my chocolate cookie recipe, but I didn't have the exact measurements. I told her that I would e-mail my mom for the recipe later in the week so we could make them. This made no sense to my companion! She couldn't understand why Americans needed exact measurements! Haha...we made the cookies without the recipe but with the correct ingredients, and thanks to her they turned out 
perfect! This totally changed they way I cook. And when it comes to any dough based cooking/baking, I think it is better to go based on consistency. But with other things, I think I'll stick with my American measuring cups!

2 comments:

  1. Those France Paris mission skills strike again! I can never seem to drum up enough energy on a regular basis to make the homemade tortillas. It's probably a good thing since I'm pretty sure burrito fetes are not exactly diet friendly...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom has been making these since she was a little girl.Though you are right, you do have to make sure its not too stiff or sticky. Here is the exact recipe
    2 cups Flour
    2 TBS shortening
    1/2 tsp salt
    2/3 cup warm water
    :D

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan

Your copyright

Your own copyright