Tyler came home quickly, and we rushed to the ER. They gave me an IV and medicine, which helped immensely. It was the first time I had ever received an IV and it felt strange. The liquid was cold, which made my whole right arm, where the needle was, cold as well. I kept watching the fluids go into me and I could feel the benefits. The dizziness started to diminish and my tongue was no longer dry like it had been for weeks beforehand. They gave me medicine through shots, and I immediately felt a difference from that as well. It was like I was breathing peppermint or something that cleared my lungs and I could breathe deeper and had much more energy than before. I felt good, except that Tyler was still in the waiting room. They said they would get him in a few minutes, but I think they forgot because they never did.
As soon as I felt good enough to talk, a nurse came and started asking for information: address, age, etc. She asked for my religion and I said LDS. "Oh, atheist?" she replied. "No! No! L-D-S, like Latter Day Saint? Mormon?" As sick and out of it was I was, I couldn't bare the thought of her writing down atheist! I am not in Utah anymore was what I was thinking as I explained to her that the real name is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and that Mormon was just a nickname because we read the Book of Mormon. "Oh, that's cool. I never knew that." I relaxed when she wrote it down correctly and she continued to ask other information.
They did a series of other tests, and I had to just lay there and wait for a few hours for the results. But the results were exactly what I was hoping for: that no, I hadn't miscarried and the baby had a healthy heart rate. I felt relieved. The doctor and nurse were, however, very firm in telling me that I must get enough liquids so that they baby can stay supported with fluids. I knew this; it is what I had been told weeks before. A baby must have enough water surrounding it in the amniotic sac to survive, and I wasn't getting enough water.
But I am trying! I spend my whole day thinking about liquids, trying to get more down, and keep it down. I told Tyler I feel like my sole purpose in life is to drink water. He looked at me like I was crazy, but that is honestly my biggest challenge in life right now. I HAVE to drink water. I HAVE to keep it down. I HAVE TO.
By the way, Tyler and I are thrilled to be parents. I am in my tenth week, which isn't very far along. And I know, normally it's too early to tell the news. But I've had to tell almost everyone so they understand why I have had to go to the hospital, stop working, stop going to church, keep cancelling visiting teaching, why Tyler does all the shopping and cooking around here, and why I sometimes can barely walk from one room to another. You just can't claim to have a debilitating stomach flu for 4 weeks straight! I am doing better though. I am now getting a lot more liquids in me and am very hopeful that I will get all the way better soon.

Wow Skye! congrats! That's kind of a horrible start to the pregnancy though. I hope you get feeling better soon so you can get to all the fun parts of pregnancy. You'll be a wonderful mother. Love you friend!
ReplyDeleteBack up the blogging bus: you're pregnant?!?! Felicitaciones! I'm so sorry you've had to fight for hydration this first trimester. Hang on, Skye! You'll be in my prayers! xoxo
ReplyDeleteSkye, love, I'm so sorry! About the morning (all day) sickness, not the pregnancy. Hooray for pregnancy! Hope this passes for you in the coming weeks and that you and little growing baby are safe and well. Love you!
ReplyDeleteGood luck Skye! I am so excited for you!
ReplyDeleteHappy happy day! About the baby not the hospital. Pregnancy sure throws you for a loop. That's when it is SO comforting to be a member of the church and have a priesthood holder in your home. This will pass and trust me- the baby is worth every minute of pregnancy! So happy and EXCITED for you!
ReplyDeleteSKYE!!!! oh my goodness! Congratulations :) That's so exciting. Seriously, I am so happy for you guys! You are going to be the most amazing mom.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! Oh, I'm so happy for you. Of course going to the hospital is never fun--the ER is a scary place to be when you're pregnant. I had to go when I was pregnant with Noah and it made me a nervous wreck for a little while after, but it gets better, I promise!
ReplyDeleteI am so, so, so excited for you! Congratulations! But I am so sorry that you've been so sick! i hope it passes quickly! Thinking of and praying for you!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Skye! I hope you feel better soon.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you've been so sick. I'm sure you've heard this a MILLION times already and it's probably getting annoying, but this will pass and it will be SOOOOOO worth it. So worth it in fact, that you'll do it again, over and over again. :)
ReplyDelete