I got my cello out for the first time in months. I've been wanting to play music for our baby, since I think he responds to other music that he hears :) But, with me being so sick, I couldn't even think about practicing. And also, my tuning pegs were stuck! My tuning pegs are hand carved out of wood, so with the humid Florida weather, they expanded to make it impossible to tune. Haha, theoretically, I knew this about cellos, but I never had to worry about that in Utah. So, for months my cello just sat alone in the corner, until I ordered something called peg compound from a store in New England to fix it, and that came in the mail a few days ago.
I played some of my favorite songs, and I think the baby liked it. He was wiggling a lot this morning, but when I started to play, he stopped and was calm for a long time, right up until when I put my cello away. I guess this could mean a couple different things: 1) he loved the music and found it so soothing that it relaxed him or 2) he found it so boring that it put him to sleep. I'll choose to think of it as the first!
Anyways, I read that after babies are born, they recognize sounds they heard while in the womb and are comforted by them. Is that true? I don't know, but maybe cello music could be comforting to him once he is born.
Although, I don't know how much longer I'll be able to practice. My tummy has gotten so big that it touches the back of my cello. It's a little awkward to hold now, so I can't imagine what it will be like when I'm 9 months along!
(24 1/2 weeks along)



I'm sure the baby was very much comforted and enjoyed your music! You always were very talented Skye. I remember wishing I could play like you without having the years and years of practice! Ha ha, taking the easy way out doesn't always work for a talent like yours though. Keep playing!
ReplyDeleteLove it!
ReplyDeleteIts TOTALLY true that they recognize sounds! One of the best moments I have ever had with Logan was right after the nurses handed him to me for the first time, and he was NOT happy and I, of course, was crying and laughing, and whispering to him, and the moment he heard my voice, he looked at me and calmed down. Adam and I have also notice that he has a fondness for Linkin Park and Neil Diamond music since we listened to A LOT of it when I was pregnant! Play away- he will recognize it.
ReplyDeleteYou are already starting him on the Mozart Effect!
ReplyDeleteThis got me thinking so I did some research and found this. It's really cool.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0017304