Immunizations

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Today has been quite the day.  (I know I'm behind on blogging. I still have so many pictures from Utah to post and so many things to write about since being back in Florida, but right now I just feel like writing about today.)

This morning we went to get Dallin's immunizations. (That was a whole ordeal in and of itself since we've had a lot of confusion with our insurance. But, after hours of being on the phone, that has now been sorted out.) So, back to today. We got his shots, he cried, I cried (unexpectedly) and then we went home.

He slept for a while, but once he woke up, he cried and cried for hours. I knew he was in pain because he didn't want to use his legs like he usually does to stand up. And I also knew it was pain because milk didn't solve the problem, like it almost always does. I gave him a warm bath, 2 actually, sang to him, cradled him, finally went to the store in the poring rain to get him some infant Tylenol. I walked in sopping wet with a crying baby, only to find that the shelf where the infant Tylenol usually is was bare.  I was embarrassed and frustrated, but now that I think about it, it was kind of funny. I finally got the medicine, gave it to him, gave him another bath, swaddled him, sang to him again....

And now he is finally asleep. Ahhhh....

But I don't dare set him down or else he will start crying again. He's already done his fair share of crying today. And so for the past hour I've been somewhat trying to clean the apartment while holding him, but there isn't much I can do with only one free hand.  So I've given up and am now just sitting down with my baby in my arms and typing this out with one hand. I have so much I should be doing right now, especially since we are getting our carpet cleaned tomorrow and I have to move all the furniture.

But, right now, it feels good to just sit here and think.  I love this little boy so much, enough to spend all day running around like crazy trying to make him feel better. But, interestingly, I love that I am the one specifically assigned to run around like crazy to make him feel better. And when I finally got him to calm down, he looked up at me with his cute blue eyes, still filled with tears, as if to say, "Thanks mom, I love you, I needed you today."

I needed you too, little boy.



**And thankfully, before I told any of this to Tyler, he texted me saying that he wants leftovers for dinner tonight. I love you, Tyler. How did you know?

2 comments:

  1. oh i just HATE shots... it never gets any easier :( sorry to hear about your crazy ordeal. thanks for the post... its amazing how much love you can feel for someone so tiny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry it was such a crazy day for you!! Glad things turned out okay. :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan

Your copyright

Your own copyright