Over the Christmas break we went down to Balboa with my parents and Stevie. Megan and Aaron couldn't go and we missed them lots. But I was really excited to show Tyler Balboa Island since I have told him so much about it. It was a really fun vacation. We walked around the Island many times and then out to the beach. It rained quite a bit, so we also took a lot of road trips in the car to see nearby law schools that Tyler might be interested in. We spent my birthday there and got to see the boat show!
I also got to interview both Gram and Grandpa Verl while there. I had the idea to do this while working on my Young Women in Excellence project. One option for Individual Worth is to learn more about your grandparents and their lives. Tyler brought his video recorder and I asked them questions while we filmed them. They both had such excellent answers telling stories that I had never heard before. I am excited to edit the film and write down their answers to have as a memoir from them.
The Pavillion
Tyler in front of Gram and Grandpa Verl's house
Talking to Gram
Boat ride around the island
After spending 4 days in Balboa, we drove down to San Diego for the Poinsettia Bowl. My Grandpa Smith was honored during the halftime show for his service in the army during WWII. We stayed in a hotel there and got to spend some time sightseeing in the city. We went to the old town, the beach and also say the USS Midway. Then that night we saw San Diego State play Navy in the Bowl game. San Diego won, but the best part was seeing my grandpa on the field during half time. He looked so happy and it was so cute to see him waving to everyone in the crowd. I was so proud of him. I really want to interview him as well and I have that as a goal to do this year.
Lorna and Grandpa Smith wearing his original army hat from WWII.
The beach on Coronado Island
My grandpa walking onto the field for the half time show at the Poinsettia Bowl.
Waving to the crowd
My cousin David representing the Marines
My dad and brother hold in the flags




Looks like SO much fun! I miss the beach all the time...especially in the winter because that's the time of year I was at the beach the most on my mission! :) Also, it looks like you had a fun birthday!
ReplyDelete