Our First Week In Houston

Friday, June 26, 2015

Untitled
We are finally here in Houston! Tyler got here a few weeks earlier than we did to begin work on June 1st. The boys and I flew here on June 13th.  One of the things that I had really been looking forward to doing, was going to Hermann Park. They have free concerts in the park during the summer and so last Saturday we packed a picnic dinner and ate in the park before the concert started.  It was such a fun and relaxing evening!

So far, everything has gone well for us in Houston. We've spent our days unpacking, setting up the apartment, and running errands all over town.

I feel so happy about the apartment we have rented. It was a gamble, because I hadn't seen it in person before, but now that I have, it is just as good as I hoped it would be. Back in April, I flew here by myself to look for housing. We wanted to rent an individually owned property and I had 5 different appointments to tour 5 different places. But before my flight landed, 2 of the places had already been rented out. The realtor that I was working with had warned me about this. The Houston rental market moves very quickly. So I saw 3 apartments, but didn't love any of them. So I filled out an application for the best of the 3 and told myself that we'd make it work. Well, it ended up that we didn't get the apartment because someone else had applied for it at the same time and the owner sold the lease to them. At the time, I was shocked and didn't know what we would do. And I couldn't imagine us living in one of the other places we saw. So for the next week, I kept checking online every hour to see what new apartments were being posted. Then, on a friday afternoon, a posting was listed that was in a neighborhood I had only briefly driven through while there, but that I remembered thinking would be the perfect place to live. When I saw this posting, I didn't know much about the apartment itself, but I knew I'd love the neighborhood, and so I filled out an application, and we signed the lease without seeing the place first. And that is how we got our place.

It isn't a perfect apartment by any means. It is actually really old, built in 1938. And probably very few updates have been made to the place since then. But, it does have beautiful hard wood floors, and like I mentioned before, it is in a fabulous, safe neighborhood with great schools and great neighbors. And we are really happy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan

Your copyright

Your own copyright